Monday, October 02, 2006

Ya Just Gotta Love Politicians

Oh yeah baby! The accuracy of my predictions is uncanny. IF I say the Dow will break the record today, you can be damn sure that it is going to go down, or at least wait until tomorrow to break the record. Perhaps, tomorrow, I should say that the Dow will tank, then wait and see the rally that you’ll get.

Well, I’m happy that CLRK is up a quarter at least. SCUR is only down pennies so it seems to be holding it’s own.

The replies to my open letter to the Canadian Finance Minister seem to be pouring in. I’ll have to get them posted to the blog shortly. One of the good things about form letters and having teams of people to answer your correspondence is that you can get replies to your emails sent out quickly. I guess if you’re the Canadian Government, then over a month long is quick. Actually I think that the job the current PM is doing is quite sad. The Finance Minister is also misguided and incompetent.

Take for example the recent and much touted, by the government, one percent cut in the GST (Goods and Services Tax). Although the tax was much hated and loathed by the general population, the government decided that they would reduce it by one percent, instead of eliminating it. Now that meant that they had to scrape the direct cut to income tax rates that the previous Liberal government had already put in place. Well I haven’t noticed the huge difference this one percent cut has made to my life. A quick canvass of my friends, family and colleagues reveals the same thing. I think people would much rather see the effect of a direct tax cut on their pays than a one percent tax cut in the GST. It also turns out that a lot of establishments that had the taxes built into the price did not pass this tax cut onto consumers. The only people that benefit from this tax cut are the people buying new Mercedes and BMW’s. In other words, the upper class, elite, friends of the conservatives, what ever you want to call them. All it means is that the friends of the current government are making out quite nicely while the rest of us have to pick up the slack.

God I love politicians.

Well at least we’re marginally better than the politicians in the USA. They look like they’ll be having a blast with Foley for quite a while.

No comments: